The Attendance Office handles student requests for checking in and out of school, along with the attendance procedures as determined by Cobb County School System.
Returning to school after an Absence
A letter written by a parent/guardian or licensed physician must be presented to Attendance the day a student returns to school from an absence. The statement should indicate the specific reason for the absence, the number of days absent, work and/or home phone number where a parent can be reached and the parent’s signature. Students must turn in notes within 3 days after they return from an absence in order to be considered to be excused.
The Georgia Board of Education states that students may be temporarily excused from school for the following reasons:
- When personally ill and when attendance in school would endanger their health or the health of others.
- When in their immediate family there is a serious illness or death, which would reasonably necessitate absences from school. Immediate family is defined as mother, father, siblings, grandparents, step-parents or legal guardian.
- Observing religious holidays, necessitating absence from school.
- When mandated by order of governmental agencies (pre-induction physical examination of service in armed forces or court order.)
- Due to conditions rendering school attendance impossible or hazardous to their health or safety.
- Children who attend court proceedings relating to their foster care or who are serving as Pages in the General Assembly.
- In order to register to vote (not to exceed one day).
- A student whose parent/guardian is in military service in the armed forces of the United States or the National Guard, and such parent/guardian has been called to duty for, is on leave from, or immediately returned from deployment to a combat zone or combat support posting shall be granted excused absences, up to a maximum of five (5) school days per school year to visit with his/her parent/guardian relative to such leave or deployment of the parent/guardian
Here are a few reasons for getting unexcused absence, but not limited to.
- Car trouble/flat tire
Refer to Cobb County School Board Policy JB-R regarding student attendance policies.
Tardy to School
If a student arrives to school after 8:20 a.m. he/she must report to the Attendance Office to sign in. Excessive tardies to school or failure to sign in properly will result in disciplinary referral. The principal may ask for additional medical or other documentation to verify that tardies are excused.
Checking out of school
Early checkout from school is discouraged. Students and parents should try to arrange medical and other appointments after school hours. A student who must check out of school early is to bring a note to the Attendance Office by 8:15 a.m. Allatoona High School Attendance Office will conclude early dismissals daily at 3:15 p.m. The note should include:
- Student’s first and last name
- Parent’s name and signature
- Reason for the early dismissal request
- Phone number to verify check-out
In the event that a parent cannot be contacted for verification, the parent must come to the Attendance office and check student out in person (Please bring ID). If a student is driving or walking, a parent must be contacted before the student is allowed to leave campus.
Our student’s education and safety are our main concern; therefore we appreciate your cooperation in abiding by the guidelines indicated above.
Certificate of Enrollment for Driver’s Licenses
The Certificate of Enrollment is needed in order to receive a learner’s and driver’s license. These are handled in the Attendance Office during the hours of 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. daily.
- Student may report to the Attendance office to request the form any day during the week.
- The student may pick up the certified and notarized form within 24-48 hrs in the Attendance Office
- The $2.00 notary fee is payable to Allatoona High School at the time of the request or may be made online at MyPaymentsPlus (please be aware that there is a small convenience fee for paying online).
- Certificates of Enrollment must be submitted to the Department of Motor Vehicle within 30 days.
- Please make plans ahead of school holidays to have Attendance pull the Certificate of Enrollment as these are not available to be requested on heavy check out days (such as the day before Thanksgiving Break).
AHS Exam Exemption and Attendance Protocol for Posting 2018-19
AHS Attendance HOLIDAY – updated 11-12-2018 v2