January 11, 2019
I hope you have had a wonderful winter break and you were able to spend quality time with family and friends! The second half of the school year is off to a great start, and there are a few important reminders that I want to send your way on topics that come up frequently.
*Spring Semester Open House- The Spring Semester Open House will take place on Thursday, January 24th from 6:30-7:30. Teachers will be available to meet you and share information about their course. The format is drop in for the hour. Your child’s current Spring Semester Schedule can be downloaded from Synergy (ParentVue).
Residency Requirement: Please keep in mind that to attend Allatoona High School your child must reside in the Allatoona High School attendance zone or have an active transfer (House Bill 251 Choice, employee transfer, etc.). If you do not meet these requirements, your child must attend the school associated with their home address. If your family is considering a move, you must withdraw your child to attend their new home school or you will need to request a transfer following the Cobb County School District guidelines to remain at Allatoona if desired.
*Tardy to School or Class– Students are expected to be in homeroom at 8:20 a.m. If a student is not, he/she must sign in tardy at the Attendance Office. In order for a tardy to be excused, the student must have a note or a parent signature stating the reason for the tardy. Excused tardies are the same as excused absences. When students are tardy to class, they should sign in at a Tardy Passport if they have their student ID to obtain a pass to class or at the attendance office if they don’t have their ID with them. When a student accumulates 5 unexcused tardies within a semester, he/she will serve detention. (See the Student Agenda for additional details.)
*Attendance– Absences will only be excused for the following reasons:
- A child is absent due to a medical appointment
- A child is ill or attendance in school would endanger his/her health or the health of others
- A serious illness or death occurs in the family of the child
- A child is observing a recognized religious holiday of his/her faith
- A child is mandated by order of a governmental agency
* A note written by a parent/guardian and/or a licensed physician explaining the reasons for absences must be turned in to the attendance clerk in the attendance office on the date of return to school and no later than three school days after the absence/tardy (otherwise, it will be marked unexcused). A student must be present at least 50% of the instructional day for him/her to be counted as present, per Cobb County policy. Parents have access to their child’s attendance on ParentVue.
*Exam Exemption Opportunity: If you have questions or need the Exam Exemption Form please see our Allatoona web site. There is also a link if you need clarification on the Exemption Attendance Policy.
*Clinic– The clinic is open daily from 8:20 a.m. to 3:20 p.m. It provides basic care according to Cobb County Guidelines for students who are sick or injured and assists in administration of medications. Please see the school website for information including required authorization forms for medication. If a student becomes ill after arriving at school, he/she should notify the teacher and get a pass to the nursing clinic where a call, if needed, will be made to his/her parent or guardian by Nurse Laura Layne. This process allows staff to support your child when they are not feeling well.
*Phone calls: Please add Allatoona High to your contacts (770-975-6503) so when our staff makes a call you will recognize the number and take our call.
*School Store– The school store is open from 8:00-8:30 a.m. daily. Please check in at the front office and then visit the store to shop for your Buccaneer Spirit wear.
We are so fortunate to live in such an amazing community with outstanding students and parents! As always, thank you so much for your support! We are looking forward to a fantastic second half of our 2018-19 school year.
Candace Wilkes, Ed.S.